Everyone has busy mornings. Athletes especially. There’s often not a lot of time in the morning with the usual rush on the way out the door. There is one ritual however that will provide numerous benefits, and best of all, it’s easy to implement. Fortunately, this morning ritual is neither tedious nor time-consuming. This simple recipe of lemon water and Himalayan salt can set your body up for all-day success.
The Morning Brew:
- 12 oz water
- 1/2 lemon squeezed (preferably organic)
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Salt
Hydration is incredibly important, specifically first thing in the morning. For 8 or more hours the body has been sweating and breathing. Both processes result in respiration and dehydration. Considering the body is made up of over 50% water, it’s very important for us to maintain adequate hydration throughout the day.
Water is important because …
- it’s the primary building block of cells
- it’s an insulator, regulating internal body temperature
- it’s crucial in metabolizing proteins and carbohydrates used as fuel
- it helps to lubricate our joints
- it insulates the brain, spinal cord, and organs. Acting as a shock absorber
- it can help the body, specifically the liver, to flush waste and toxins from the body
- It’s the principal solvent in the body. Dissolving minerals, vitamins, and nutrients
- Water carries oxygen and nutrients to cells
The lemon in the water is where the majority of the benefit is.
(I have not specified what temperature you should consume your water. There’s limited evidence that you shouldn’t consume cool or cold water as some claim, so feel free to consume the temperature of your preference.)
Benefits of Lemon:
- it’s Vitamin C helps boost the immune system
- it’s Potassium aids in brain function, and to ward off cramps
- it raises the body’s alkaline pH, encouraging better overall health.
- Last but not least, lemon water will help ward off your morning breath. Just an extra bonus!
As you can see, adding lemon water alone to your morning ritual can help your body function a lot more efficiently. However, we’re not done! As you can see in the recipe, there is one more key feature to this morning ritual recipe. Salt.
High sweat rates in athletes result in not only the loss of fluids but also sodium. Salts provide the main electrolytes and minerals critical for normal function. Himalayan salt is far less processed and less toxic than your traditional table salt. It also provides you with additional electrolytes and minerals than average salts.
So incorporate this recipe into your morning ritual and leave a comment the comment section below how you feel!